Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Mother's Day to Me

This year Mother's Day was difficult.....difficult because I had to face the day without Katharine and difficult  because of the 3 AM wakeup I got from Henry who was out of his blankets and upside down in his bed begging me to "cover him." This was followed by another wakeup at 3:15 in which he grabbed my hand with his own unfortunately wet hand and begged me to "dry it off."  It was vomit.  He needed oh so much more than just to be dried off.

Such is the life of a mom.  But you know it's worth it.....

I found this this week in my book of meditations In Conversation with God: Meditations for Each Day of the Year (which you really should buy already...I promise it's totally worth it!)

"At all times, and no less in ours, Christian women play a most important part in the apostolate and in the handing on of the faith.  Women are called to bring to the family, to society and to the Church, characteristics which are their own and which they alone can give:  their gentle warmth and untiring generosity, their love for detail, their quick-wittedness and intuition, their simple and deep piety, their   constancy.  The Church expects from women commitment and witness to all that contributes to the dignity of the human person and furthers their true happiness.

When these qualities with which God has endowed women grow and develop, her life and work will be really constructive, fruitful and full of meaning, whether she spends the day dedicated to her husband and children or whether, having given up the idea of marriage for a noble reason, she has given herself fully to other tasks.


Each women in her own sphere of life, if she is faithful to her divine and human vocation, can and in fact does achieve the fullness of her human personality.  Let us remember that Mary, Mother of God and Mother of men, is not only a model but also proof of the transcendental value of an apparently unimportant life."

The proof of the transcendental value of an apparently unimportant life...I love it....and really, who could look at these guys and say this work of mine is unimportant?


On a brighter note, Chris had this little (big?) beauty (the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker) waiting for me as my gift.  Or does the promise of fresh baked bread make this count as a gift for himself?


My first loaf of whole wheat honey sandwich bread....a little flat but I call it a success!  


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...