Friday, January 4, 2013

My Reading Log for 2012

You'll have to forgive me if you have no interest whatsoever in what I've read this year and/or were hoping to see adorable pictures of my precious children because you are going to leave here sadly disappointed.....but hey, it is my blog and I want to keep a record of things that are important to me and since I've spent such an exorbitant amount of time reading all of this I thought I should make a list--and you know I love a good list :) 

I was going to tell you which books were my favorites but I realized that I could never do that because I pretty much loved them all--who has time to read a book that isn't wonderful when there are so many great ones out there?  The exception to that of course being the parenting/discipline books which were all quickly finished out of desperation regardless of how good they were--I'm beginning to think that I have read too many of these since I've finished the year more confused than when I began with all of the different ideas of the correct way to handle my oldest little angel's ummm....shall we say tempestuous nature......Maybe I should make a new year's resolution to just lay off of them entirely for 2013......

Well, for your browsing pleasure, here are most of the books I've read this year from January to December. I'm sure I've forgotten some, but how good could they have been if I don't even remember reading them?  

  1. Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds, Third Edition, by Rex Forehand 
  2. Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child, by Anthony Esolen
  3. Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living, by Tsh Oxenreider
  4. Orthodoxy, by G.K. Chesterton
  5. Lady Susan, by Jane Austen
  6. How to Raise Good Catholic Children, by Mary-Reed Newland
  7. The Year & Our Children: Catholic Family Celebrations for Every Seasonby Mary-Reed Newland
  8. Back to Virtue: Traditional Moral Wisdom for Modern Moral Confusion, by Peter Kreeft
  9. The Ball and the Cross, by G.K. Chesterton
  10. After Miscarriage:  A Catholic Woman's Companion to Healing and Hope, by Karen Edmisten
  11. On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering, by Pope John Paul II
  12. Prayer for Beginners, by Peter Kreeft
  13. The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald
  14. The Princess and Curdieby George MacDonald
  15. Making Sense Out of Suffering, by Peter Kreeft
  16. Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery
  17. Letters to Gabriel:  The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum, by Karen Santorum
  18. Anne of Avonleaby L.M. Montgomery
  19. Anne of the Island,  by L.M. Montgomery
  20. Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery
  21. Anne's House of Dreams,  by L.M. Montgomery
  22. Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline:  The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation, by Becky A. Bailey
  23. Anne of Inglesideby L.M. Montgomery
  24. How to Behave So Your Preschooler Will, Too!, by Sal Severe, Ph.D.
  25. Playful Parenting, by Lawrence J. Cohen
  26. Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child : Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm, and Respectful Boundaries, by Robert J. Mackenzie
  27. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
  28. The Hurried Child-25th Anniversary Edition, by David Elkind, Ph.D.
  29. Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder, by Richard Louv
  30. Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics, by Ross Douthat
  31. Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry), by Lenore Skenzazy
  32. Pocketful of Pinecones: Nature Study With the Gentle Art of Learning, by Karen Andreola
  33. The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis
  34. Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other, by Sherry Turkle
  35. The Minimalist Mom's Guide to Baby's First Year, by Rachel Jonat
  36. The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  37. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  38. Kristin Lavransdatter: The Bridal Wreath; The Mistress of Husaby; The Cross,by Sigrid Undset
  39. When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today, by Elaine Cooper
  40. In Defense of Sanity: The Best Essays of G.K. Chesterton, by GK Chesterton
  41. Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason, by Alfie Kohn
  42. What I Saw in America, GK Chesterton
  43. The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth , by William and Martha Sears
  44. HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing (3rd Edition), by Marie Mongan
  45. The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had, by Susan Wise Bauer
  46. Lancelot: A Novel*, by Walker Percy
  47. Anna Karenina, by LeoTolstoy
  48. .
And here are Chris and I's grown up read alouds--not nearly as prolific.......

  1. A Map of Life, by F.J. Sheed
  2. Made for Moreby Curtis Martin
  3. Screwtape Letters*, by C.S. Lewis 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...