Monday, April 7, 2014

A Very Prestigious Award

Molly over at Molly Makes Do has ever so kindly bestowed upon me a prestigious Leibster Award--okay, it's not exactly prestigious and I'm pretty sure the rules are completely made up and there's no actual award per se, but I'll do my best not to mess this up anyway because no one has ever given me an award for blogging before--pretend or otherwise :)  

1. Where do you live? And why do you live there?


I live wherever the Navy tells me to which is currently Jacksonville, Fl.  We just put in our preference sheet for our next duty station however and we requested:

  1. Yokosuka, Japan
  2. Bahrain
  3. Coronado, CA
  4. Washington, DC
  5. Millington, TN
  6. Rota, Spain or Sigonella, Italy--I can't even remember now
Because we are crazy.  Actually, it's my husband that's crazy but--I'll go where he goes.  This of course means we will definitely be living in one of these places come next winter--or, you know, anywhere else the Navy feels like sending us because it's just a preference list after all.  Usually it goes something like this:  the Navy asks us where we would like to go, we tell them our preferences, they tell us how cute that is and then inform us where we will actually be going.  Which is hopefully not actually Bahrain :)

2. What are you currently watching and/or reading?



This is actually three short stories, My Uncle's Dream, Most Unfortunate and The Gambler.  If you like Dostoyevsky you'd probably like these and if you've never read him, his short stories might be a better place to begin than jumping straight into The Brother's Karamazov--although you should definitely read that too :)




I love this book and I'll probably write a whole post dedicated to it just so I can flesh out my own thoughts.  If you are interested in the history of education in our country and the liberal arts in particular this is a wonderful resource.  It's also just a collection of essays so it's easy to pick up whenever you have a minute.  

3. What kind of Catholic are you: cradle, or convert? (Or considering?)

I converted to Catholicism in college after going through the RCIA program three times, you know, just to be sure.  Mostly I tell people that my conversion was due to my reading my way into the Church, but I'm pretty sure I can trace the real beginning of my conversion to my childhood obsession with this movie:






I was sorely, sorely disappointed to find out that good little Southern Baptist girls don't get to grow up to be nuns.
 
4. Can you point to one moment or experience that made you a practicing Catholic? (Or want to be?)


As a convert, I've always been practicing, but I'm sure like many moms before me, having that first baby and realizing my responsibility for his little soul really brought my faith to a whole new seriousness level.  

5. How many pairs of shoes do you own?


I'm not sure exactly how many pairs of shoes I have, although I'm sure it's more than I need.  Really I mostly wear one pair of shoes--my Rainbow sandals--which is embarrassing and not very grown up at all.  I've had a pair continuously since I was eighteen and I generally wear them until there is literally a hole through the heal and then I grudgingly buy a replacement.  Ah, the horrors of having to break in a new pair!  Don't worry though, I also have a pair of dressy sandals for church :)

6. Are you a good dancer?

Um, no.  Once I hit the six foot mark I realized that I should probably let my dreams of a ballet career go and also that I was probably never going to have that graceful control over my limbs that other girls possessed.  Because I'm a giantess.  And also awkward.  


7. Who usually drives, you or your husband?


My husband.  Our relationship almost ended early on due to my refusal to turn on my headlights during the day.  I contended that they would turn themselves on when it was dark enough to need them.  He maintained that it was safer to have them on at all times.  It didn't end well.  Now I just let him do what he wants while I nap in the passenger seat.   

8. What's your favorite holiday and how do you celebrate it?


It may just be because it's right around the corner and I'm really excited, but I'm going to have to go with Easter.  Everything is just so joyful and blooming this time of year it's hard not to get swept away by all the loveliness and unlike Christmastime there aren't so many unrealistic holiday expectations.  This year will be our fifth annual Easter egg hunt and potluck with all of our local friends.  We like to make sure everyone has a place to be on Easter so we usually have ridiculous numbers of people over.  It's also nice to have our own egg hunt on Easter Sunday since I'm a mean mom and don't let the kids go to pre-Easter egg hunts.  It's my one Easter line in the sand.  Our confetti egg hunt is my favorite Easter tradition and I think it will only get more fun as the boys get older!  

9. Which is correct? Left or right?


Clearly the Left.

10. Do you have any scars?

Just small ones from a tonsillectomy and my emergency appendectomy that wouldn't have been an emergency if anyone had believed me when I said something was wrong and that yes, I was sure it was not miscarriage related--hello, I was a very awkward and if we're being honest, fairly unattractive thirteen.   It was another three years before I even got to the hand-holding stage.  Traumatizing.  The whole thing was just traumatizing.  


11. What's the most famous thing you've ever done? 


I wasn't sure of this answer so I googled my name to see if anything famous-y popped up.  Shocker, it didn't.  If you have to look up your name to see if you've ever done anything famous the answer is probably no.  It looks like the most famous thing I've ever done is have this blog and a distant second was to co-publish (i.e. write the abstract and intro for) an article published in the Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment which was apparently one of their fifty most frequently read articles in July 2011!  How's that for famous?  Okay, well--I did my best :)  


Now after the longest blog ramble in the history of Leibster awards I'm supposed to tag even more bloggers to participate which means I've been officially called out on my very limited amount of internet friends who I think might actually be reading this and also haven't already been tagged.  

I'm thinking Erin and Julia, and then in a desperate attempt to make my lovely sister-in-laws Kate, Elizabeth and Julia breathe life back into their blogs and maybe post pictures of my nieces and nephews in a place I will actually see them since I'm off Facebook and my sad old phone can't process text messages in the form of iphone pictures.  Or they could just play along in the comments if they can't remember how to even log into their blogs :)  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...