Thursday, June 5, 2014

{p,h,f,r} The 'It's a Girl' Edition

 {pretty}


I managed to wait one whole day after finding out our newest little bundle will be a pink one to mosey on over to the fabric store to pick out fabric for a baby quilt. I already had plans for either contingency but I knew the girl version would probably take a while to complete since I had the (probably misguided) idea to attempt a grandmother's flower garden pattern.  Once I got there I got distracted by all the flowery possibilities and I ended up buying a little of everything girly that I took a fancy to--which might not be the best way to shop for quilt fabric but then again, I want this one to have a scrappy feel and I don't have much in the way of girl scraps here :)  


{happy}


I've already made some progress but it is definitely slow going.  And since, like most of my projects, I'm winging it based on internet directions--I'm probably not doing this the most efficient way.  Of course if I was aiming at efficiency in quilt making I probably would have just stuck with squares.  Watching these flowers come together is awfully satisfying though.


{funny}


I spent a good part of last Sunday cutting out paper hexagons and then fabric hexagons to make a big stash of them to work on throughout the week. Chris watched me at my work and said, "wow, that looks really tedious."  Needless to say, I didn't bother asking him if he'd like to help cut.

So far, after making elevendy-million little fabric covered paper hexagons I've learned that apparently paper piecing quilts and hand sewing it all takes a long, long time.  It's a good thing the quilt's just baby sized.  I really do enjoy sewing it all by hand though even if it does take a hundred years to finish.  Dragging my machine out to the kitchen table and dealing with all the noise and packing it all back away is a not a relaxing way to spend the evening.  By hand sewing I can sit on the couch and chat with Chris while I work....or watch Matlock on Amazon Prime....either way it's quality time right?  

  

{real}


I think it's safe to say that the rest of our respective families are more excited at the prospect of baby girl Reintjes than we are.  Well maybe not David.  He's the most excited of anyone.  Grandma Reintjes wasted no time in shopping for the long awaited granddaughter--the first one out of the last five grand-babies--and sent a huge box of clothes.  And I know that she's not the only family member who's been going on baby girl clothes shopping benders either! My favorite of this bunch is this sweet little smocked romper.  It's just so pink and floofy :)  

I guess now I need to get down to the business of figuring out how to store boy and girl clothes which is totally disrupting my current clothing storage system.  Which would be easier if we had any real idea of when we'll be moving and what kind of house we'll be moving into......


And as usual don't forget to stop over at Like Mother, Like Daughter for even more captured contentment :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...