Tuesday, October 22, 2019

On Turning Five and Growing Up Too Quickly










I took Margaret outside on her birthday for a bit of a photo shoot last week and looking back through the pictures I can't help but feel that my little girl has sprouted into a not so little girl overnight and that I really need her to slow herself down.

She had a lovely day and was showered with presents from family members near and far. 

Those included a new pink bike with no training wheels because she decided that she was pretty sure she already knew how to ride a bike last month and jumped on her brother's bike and took off down the driveway with no problems.  I think her success was a combination of years of balance biking and the fact that she has no fear of anything.  She did request that her bike have a seat for her baby dolls though, so I guess I'll save my real birthday meltdown for when she thinks she's too old for things like not taking her babies everywhere she goes. 

She finished off the day with a pink raspberry cake that we baked together, complete with pink icing, pink filling, pink sprinkles, and pink candles.  She loved the aesthetics of the cake--but she did not love the taste of the cake.  I told her that maybe next year she should not choose her recipes based solely on the color but that maybe she should take into account the actual flavors and choose something she would actually like to eat.  I suppose we'll see which instinct is stronger--her desire for pink, or her desire for treats she really likes. 

I think it could go either way :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...