Sunday, January 19, 2014

On Getting Things Done

At any given time I've got a lot of plans for things to do around the house percolating in my brain.  A lot of plans.  Unfortunately for my lets get it done now husband, I like to think about things and then think about them some more and then once I think I've finally decided on a plan I give it one more night juuuuust to be sure.....because you know, if you can't do something perfectly right the first time why bother doing it at all?  No?  Is that not how well adjusted grown-ups do things?

One of my resolutions for this year is to stop planning already and to just get things done, even if they aren't perfect and things need tweaking later....that's probably not that exciting of a resolution but it's an uphill battle for me!  I'm really good at making plans and really bad at putting them in action.

Well anyway, I found this typesetter tray at a flea market last summer for five dollars and it's been sitting in the garage ever since, waiting for me to decide on its future (most perfect) location and purpose.  I almost gave it over to the boys to house their growing collection of lego minifigures but in the end I wanted it for myself :)

Task 1 on the Getting Things Done in 2014 List:  Our new nature treasures display......


The boys worked together to fill it in with all their treasures......which also allowed me to work on my other resolution of not inflicting my will on my minions when it comes to needing things done the 'right' way so long as things just get done.  This goes for children's bed making and laundry folding efforts as well.......


These aren't technically all the boys' treasures.  That rock up top is something I picked up when I was about five and living in California.  I found it while walking from my house to the Burger King to get my very favorite thing in the world at the time--a soggy chicken sandwich eaten in a mock circus train---mmmmm......fine dining.   I remember being really disappointed when everyone agreed that my treasure was not in fact a real hunk of diamond and not valuable in the least.  But I've managed to carry it around for the last twenty-six years so I guess it had value to me :)


Henry's been busy rearranging nature treasures all afternoon and Chris is taking bets on how long it will take for the baby to crawl up on those boxes and send the whole thing to its doom.  His current favorite thing to do is to climb on top of the boxes and then scream for someone to get him down because he's stuck and then repeat the process elevendy-billion times a day so the odds do seem to be against me........


I'm sure none of my children would never be so naughty as that though.


Getting things done sure does feels good :)

2 comments:

  1. That is BEAUTIFUL - what a perfect use for the tray, and it adds to the display already on the walls. A total win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did turn out nice didn't it? My husband did not see my vision but he dutifully put it up for me with a minimum amount of murmuring under his breath. Once it was up he admitted that he liked it. When will he learn to just trust my vision? :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...