Monday, April 27, 2015

On Not Resting On Sundays



Oh Sundays.  You should be a day of rest but sometimes, well sometimes you have children and dogs and disasters and resting just isn't in the cards.


This is what Margaret wore Sunday.  She and I didn't actually make it into mass because upon arrival at the church we realized John Michael had dumped water all over his lap and although we knew it was just water nobody else would.  By the time I drove him home to get a change of clothes and got back to the church we were only fifteen minutes late but as I pulled up I realized he had fallen asleep so I just gave up.  I didn't have it in me to try to sneak a probably-screaming-because-he'd-just-been-woken-up-toddler and a baby into mass.



I just sat in the van and listened to Harry Potter audio books while the children slept because we're holy like that.


The rest of the day was spent mostly doing yard work that should have been done on Saturday except Chris had to spend his Saturday at work.  By the time we collapsed into bed I was exhausted......and that's when Chris smelled the smell and I felt the dampness and we realized the dog had relieved himself on our bed.  Specifically my side of the bed which I'm pretty sure was out of pure spite because he managed to pull the covers down, go to the restroom exactly in my spot and then somehow push the covers back to cover up his crime.

Now, the mattress itself was probably due for replacement since it was a hand-me-down from Aunt Elizabeth and Uncle Nick about eight years ago and I'm pretty sure they weren't the original owners either but we like to use things until they are completely and utterly beyond saving (see our van).  Massive amounts of dog urine soaked into the mattress definitely puts it into the "beyond saving" category.

Our king sized memory foam mattress topper and mattress are officially dead.

You know what isn't fun to do at 9:30 on a Sunday night?  Dragging said urine soaked mattress down the too small 1950's stairwell and onto the back porch--which was finally starting to look presentable but is now....not--and then dragging the queen sized mattress up from the guest room in the basement so you have somewhere to sleep.


Now, replacing the mattress is going to have it's own problems, not least of which is the fact that a new king sized mattress will probably not fit up our stairwell.  Ours only fit originally because we were able to fold it almost in half due to it's age--at least I'm assuming that's the reason and that most new mattresses don't just fold in half.  We're thinking a king sized memory foam mattress might fit.  Or we could just downgrade to a queen and use our guest bed in our room and put twin beds in the guest room since we already have one spare twin mattress.  That's probably the most cost effective option.  Or we could use two twin mattresses with a king sized memory foam topper in our room?  Feel free to share any ideas.

Also, I'm probably never going to get patio furniture.

Also, would anyone be interested in a twelve year old, crotchety, no longer housebroken dog?  I know where you can get one real cheap.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...